Sleepy Hollow Fire Department
Sleepy Hollow Fire Department


2019 Runs Total
January 31
February 22
March 27
April 23
May 24
June 32
July 23
August 26
September 19
October 33
November 23
December 33

2020 Runs Total
January 29
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December


Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
December 1, 2010
673,890
Visitors Today
Feb 20, 2020
176
Holiday Safety Tips
Email Print RSS Facebook Twitter

December 1, 2019

1. Inspect electrical decorations for damage before use.
Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.

2. Do not overload electrical outlets.
Overloaded electrical outlets and faulty wires are a common cause of holiday fires. Avoid overloading outlets and plug only one high-wattage into each outlet at a time.

3. Never connect more than three strings of incandescent lights.
More than three strands may not only blow a fuse, but can also cause a fire.

4. Keep trees fresh by watering daily.
Dry trees are a serious fire hazard.

5. Use battery-operated candles.
Candles start almost half of home decoration fires (NFPA).

6. Keep combustibles at least three feet from heat sources.
A heat sources that was too close to the decoration was a factor in half of home fires that began with decorations (NFPA).

7. Protect cords from damage.
To avoid shock or fire hazards, cords should never be pinched by furniture, forced into small spaces such as doors and windows, placed under rugs, located near heat sources, or attached by nails or staples.

8. Check decorations for certification label.
Decorations not bearing a label from an independent testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), or Intertek (ETL) have not been tested for safety and could be hazardous.

9. Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking.
Unattended cooking equipment is the leading cause of home cooking fires (NFPA).

10. Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house.
Unattended candles are the cause of one in five home candle fires. Half of home fire deaths occur between the hours of 11pm and 7am (NFPA).

https://www.esfi.org/resource/top-10-holiday-safety-tips-337


Comment Comment 0 Comment(s)


Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
Sleepy Hollow Fire Department
28 Beekman Avenue
Sleepy Hollow NY 10591

Emergency Dial 911
Emergency Line:914-631-4290
Non-Emergency: 914-804-1836
Station Fax: 914-332-1307
E-mail: info@sleepyhollowfd.org
Copyright © 2020 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)