Join the Sleepy Hollow Fire Department!
Help us help you
Become a volunteer today!
The Sleepy Hollow Fire Department is always looking for new members who are willing to put forth the effort and take a step forward in our community. No prior experience is required, and full state approved training will be provided. Anybody over the age of seventeen and in good health is more than welcomed to fill out an application and proceed to join one of the five fire companies of the Sleepy Hollow Fire Department and make a difference in our community.
The Sleepy Hollow Fire Department offers many opportunities to members of our community. No prior experience is required, and full state-approved training is provided for all new members at the Westchester County Emergency Services Headquarters in Valhalla, NY.
Active Membership Requirements:
- Must be at least 17 years of age
- Pass an NYS Arson and Sex Offender Background Check
- Complete Department Training
- Complete New York State Firefighter I with Firefighter Survial course, FEMA ICS-100b, FEMA IS-700a, First aid and CPR within your first year of membership
- Complete 1 year of probation
Benefits to becoming a member of the SHFD!
· Help your neighbors.
· Get a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment for your service to your community.
· Become a part of a large family and support network.
· New York State training, free of charge.
· Free use of gym facility.
· Pool pass to Mount Pleasant Pool.
The Membership Process
1) Fill out the contact form by clicking the link below.
2) The company of your choice will contact you and you will fill out a company application, a NYS arson and sex offender background check form.
3) Your application will be read off at the next company meeting (first Tuesday of every month), then be placed on hold for 30 days. During these 30 days you will be contacted by the membership committee to arrange an interview with the company.
3) Attend your scheduled interview with the committee. This is the time to ask any questions you may have about the Sleepy Hollow Fire Department.
4) The membership committee will present its findings from your interview at the next company meeting, and the company will vote to accept or deny you membership in the fire company.
5) On the second Tuesday of the month, the Fire Council of Wardens will then review and vote to accept or deny you membership in the Sleepy Hollow Fire Department.
6) The final step, will be approval by the Mayor and Board of Trustees to accept you as a member of the Sleepy Hollow Fire Department.
Which company should I join?
When joining the Sleepy Hollow Fire Department, you have a choice of five companies to join. Candidates can pick the company they will join based on how close the particular firehouse is to their home, the duties of the fire company, or for any myriad of reasons.
Below is a brief description of each companies duties:
Rescue 12 – Extrication, Search & Rescue, Water & Ice Rescue, F.A.S.T., Salvage.
Responds to all general fire calls and minor calls.
Tower Ladder 38 – Forcible Entry, Ventilation, Search & Rescue.
Responds to all general fire calls and the following minor calls: mutual aid, lockouts, carbon monoxide, gas leaks and elevator calls.
Engine 85 – Fire Suppression & Extinguishment
Responds to all general fire calls and the following minor calls: brush fires, car fires carbon monoxide, gas leaks and elevator calls.
Engine 86 - Fire Suppression & Extinguishment
Responds to all general fire calls and the following minor calls: mutual aid and car fires.
Engine 87 - Fire Suppression & Extinguishment
Responds to all general fire calls and the following minor calls: vehicle accidents.